Locality Guide "Kurri Kurri a town with heart"

Locality Guide "Kurri Kurri a town with heart"

Kurri Kurri Suburb ProfileĀ  The team at LJ Hooker Kurri Kurri are proud to talk about the wonderful town of Kurri Kurri. The team at LJ Hooker Kurri Kurri can be contacted on 4936 1722 or kurrikurri.ljhooker.com.au enjoy this profile.

Kurri Kurri is a small town in the HUnter Region of NSW, in the Cessnock LGA. 

The town was named by District Surveryor T. Smith who chose the name because it meant “The very first” in a local dialect. 

Kurri Kurri was founded in 1902 to service the local Stanford Merthyr and Pelaw Main collieries and mining communities. The Kurri Kurri land was proclaimed on 25th October 1902 and the first lots were sold on 10th June 1903. Until the creation of the Local Government Area (known as the City of Cessnock), Kurri Kurri was the centre of the Shire of Kearsley, which included most of the rural towns around the Township of Cessnock and parts of Maitland. 

By 1911 there was a population of 5,885 residents and at the 2006 Census its population the combined population of Kurri Kurri and surrounding suburbs of Stanford Merthyr, Pelaw Main, Weston and Abermain was 16,196. The estimated population of Kurri Kurri and its district in now close to 21,000. 

The Kurri Kurri hotel was built in 1904 during the era of mining prosperity. It stands at an impressive three Storys and features prominent verandahs with cast iron lacework. There are many small miners’ cottages in Kurri Kurri from the same period. 

In 1886 Sir Edgeworth David, a government geological survey uncovered the potential of the Greta Coal seam. Mining at the South Maitland Coalfield’s began at East Greta in 1891. More mines were opened in the early 1900s, during this period there were a number of accidents including the death of 6 miners at the Stanford Merthyr Colliery in 1905, which is commemorated by a monument in the Kurri Kurri Cemetery. 

Following the serious slump in the coal industry, Stanford Merthyr Colliery closed in 1957, Pelaw Main in 1962, and Richmond Main in 1967, the Alcan Aluminium Smelter was built to take up the unemployment. Today the town is on the newly completed Hunter Expressway which is expected to bring increased investment to the district. 

There are 3 Pre schools, one Long day care centre, 7 Primary Schools, 1 High school and the largest TAFE institute in the Hunter region located in the Kurri Kurri District; 
Kurri Kurri Public School 
Kurri Kurri Infants School 
The Holy Spirit Primary School 
Stanford Merthyr Infants School 
Pelaw Main Public School 
Weston Public School 
Abermain Public School 
Kurri Kurri High School 
Kurri Kurri Campus – Hunter Insitute of TAFE 

Kurri Kurri is becoming internationally known for its murals with more than 50 painted around the town depicting the history of the region. Each year the town also hosts the “Kurri Kurri Nostalgia Festival” (a Project of Towns with Heart) in the town centre and is all about Rock ‘n’ Roll, Classic cars, hot rods, fashion and the 50s and 60s. Many local businesses, community groups and volunteers join forces to make this event the success it is, bringing over $3 million into the local economy and district over the weekend.